Friday, December 5, 2008

A Change of Fonts

Has anyone else noticed that the fake handwriting that used to advertise the day’s headlines at news kiosks has changed to a more standard font? Look at the difference. This is from about a month ago:


This is from yesterday:



I could be wrong, but it seems as if the handwritten style had been around forever (I seem to recall it from vacation trips long ago). I wonder what made the font decider change his mind.

In other font news, take a look at this fascinating, in-depth history of the typefaces used in the New York City subway system. (And here’s the London Underground font, with just one quick paragraph of information about that.)

And for even more weekend reading, there's always Thinking with Type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students, which is, I'm afraid, one of those books that I gave away when we moved to London (it was an accident, I think). I am trying to console myself with this article about pruning your bookshelves, which reconfirms that I was right to get rid of most of my library. But still, there is the pang of remembering a book I no longer have, the chill of having gone too far.

No comments: