Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Favorite Falafel


Lately, every time I go to Borough Market around lunchtime, I can’t resist the falafel with crunchy pickles from the Arabica food stall. Maybe it’s because they’re made right in front of you and have no time to get soggy. Maybe it’s the mix of hot sauce and tahini. Maybe it’s the vegetable pickles. I don’t know. But I'm pretty sure it's the tastiest I've had here. (Every time I go to Paris, I try to get some from L'As du Fallafel, but it has never been open when I've shown up.)
      Back at Borough Market, I never have enough patience to push through the crowds and stand in line to buy spices and salads and such from the prepared foods side of the Arabica stall (sort of like a very mini Kalustyan’s), but one day, I will gather the energy to battle it out for the hummus and zatar.

4 comments:

American in London said...

Sounds like you keep going to L'As du Falafel on shabbat (Saturday)?

Tara said...

Hey AiL: that's entirely possible, though once I did go by the place several days in a row (but perhaps it was another holiday). I'm still determined to try it one day!

Em said...

As a foodie, Borough Market is without reservation my favorite place in London (so far...), but I have yet to try the Falafel. I usually am seduced by the cheese and olives and fresh baguettes. Occassionally I'll have a bratwurst with kraut. But I do like falafel so I must now give it a try.

Tara said...

Hi Em: That bratwurst is my second favorite thing!