Thursday, April 30, 2009

Restaurant Recommendation: Alfie’s

In my neighborhood of Bermondsey, we now have a new hotel (the Bermondsey Square Hotel) and a new restaurant to go along with it: Alfie’s Kitchen (and bar).


The restaurant is small and sleek, the food is modern British, and it’s a welcome addition to the neighborhood. I started my recent meal there with some Cornish mackerel on a beet and orange salad and loved the combination of fresh tastes. (I also had a nice glass of Pinot Grigio rosé to go along with it, which may be my favorite warm weather drink.) Then, lemon sole with tiny shrimp and broccoli mash and mushrooms. It looked rather boring but tasted delicious.


Dan had a soul-satisfying, old-fashioned veal stew with mash (the stew was fantastic; the mash was fine, but you know, I’m not a big fan of mashed potatoes, frankly).


To finish, a creamy, yummy apple toffee trifle, which didn’t seem to suit the season, but we managed to get over that.
      Service was friendly and attentive. Prices were reasonable but not cheap (mains were all less than £20, if I recall correctly). The atmosphere was warm and romantic. Plus, the new Shortwave cinema has just opened right across the courtyard from Alfie’s, so you can make a night of it here at the end of Bermondsey Street. I’ve been waiting a long time for a cinema to open in our neighborhood, and although this one doesn’t seem to be playing first runs, it still looks promising (and better than nothing).

No comments: