Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Taste of the States

For the next four weeks, McDonald’s in the UK is offering “great tastes of America: four weeks, four states, four burgers.” First up, the New York Special, which will contain “100% beef patty, streaky bacon, two slices of smoked cheese, crisp lettuce, onions and onion mayo all in a chilli, chive and sesame bun.” I, for one, have no idea why that’s considered a New York burger. Anyone? To accompany its burger description, McDonald’s also lists three must-see sights in New York (city, by the way, not the state): the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the Empire State Building.
      I’ve never been to the Statue of Liberty and feel no need to go there, having ridden past it on a boat, which is surely the best way to see it. So what three NYC experiences would I recommend to people? Here’s one small slice of the city: a walk down Bleecker Street, starting at Abingdon Square and heading south into SoHo and down West Broadway into Tribeca; shopping (probably only window shopping) at moss instead of going to a museum; and then the Empire State Building.
      And for London: a ride on the Eye, a visit to the British Museum, and a walk around Borough Market. (Fourth thing: Eurostar to Paris.)
      What do you think? Your top three picks for either place?

6 comments:

Samboy said...

No idea either but then again, I don't know why the act of adding beetroot to a burger makes it Australian.

Personally, I prefer the Colombia Road Flower Market as a more quintessentially London experience.

Tara said...

Nice choice! (And I had no idea about the beetroot.)

Juli Ra said...

There must be something going on between our two cities because only yesterday, this was posted by this free daily morning paper. Is this 2 minute guide accurate? As for the NY burger, it doesn't look like anything my friends here in NYC would eat and in the 15 years I've been here, I don't ever recall 'smoked cheese' on a burger. Now, if they put smoked salmon in it, or the burger was on a bagel....

Tara said...

Hey Juli. That guide is pretty good! And they're right, if you're a tourist, I think you can avoid Oxford Street, but if you're a local, sometimes you just have to go there. (It's like 14th Street crossed with Herald Square, and all the department stores are there. I go regularly.)

An American in London said...

Great question . . . maybe this is more appealing for Americans than for foreigners, but I think Ellis Island is a must-see when you're visiting NY (and yes, I know it's technically in NJ). I also love drinks at sunset on the rooftop garden at the Met and the excitement of an evening performance letting out at Lincoln Center. [And for the food tourist to NY, I'd have a whole other (long) list.]

Tara said...

Hi AiL: Like you, my first thoughts about what to do in NYC all involved food! Thanks for reminding me about the top of the Met: that is truly lovely. And I'm ashamed to say I've never been to Ellis Island—I know I have to go there.